Extraordinary praise has accompanied the release of Bob Mould's latest, and some say greatest, solo album District Line, which came out this past Tuesday on Anti- Records.
Long considered the godfather of the alternative rock genre, Mould's work is seen as some of the most influential of past 25 years, beginning with post-punk outfit Husker Du, followed by the proto-alt pop/rockers Sugar, and finally with his ambitious solo albums. And many critics are hailing Mould's latest as one of his very best:
- "He's rarely been more compelling." SPIN
- "Mark these words: Bob Mould just made one of the best albums of his career." MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE
- "Reeling across the spectrum in 10 tight tracks, District Line is his best in some time." PASTE MAGAZINE
- "District Line is a focused, gripping zigzag between fury and woe, scorched rock and folk - pop distress, much like the Huskers' best records - now with a longer view." ROLLING STONE
- "Some of the best guitar rock songs he's written in 15 years." UNDER THE RADAR
- "Some of his most striking poetry to date..." THE ADVOCATE
- "There is still anger, sure, but there is also acceptance and equanimity - an emotional expansiveness to go with the album's musical breadth." USA TODAY
Mould will perform on NPR's World CafÃƒÂ© on February 22nd. Hosted by David Dye, the highly respected music program can be heard on over 200 public radio stations around the country.
Mould sets off on March 5th for a tour of the U.S which will feature both classic material from Mould's considerable body of work, as well as new songs off District Line.
Finally, a video has been making the rounds on the internet, featuring members of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Interpol and Death Cab For Cutie talking about the importance and influence of Bob Mould. The EPK also features live footage and interviews with Mould himself. href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kyGlksIv_0" target=_blank">Check it out here.
Bob Mould on tour: 5 March - Minneapolis MN - First Ave 6 March - Milwaukee, WI - Shank Hall 7 March - Chicago IL- Metro 8 March - Cleveland OH - Grog 9 March - Hamilton, ON - Casbah 10 March - Toronto ON - Mod Club 12 March - Boston MA - Paradise 13 March - New York City NY - Fillmore 14 March - Philadelphia PA - Trocadero 15 March - Washington DC - 9:30 Club 16 March - Carrboro NC - Cat's Cradle 18 March - Atlanta GA - Variety 20 March - Austin TX - Antone's 22 March - Boulder CO - Fox Theatre 24 March - San Diego CA - Belly Up 25 March - Los Angeles CA - El Rey 26 March - San Francisco CA - Great American Music Hall 28 March - Portland OR - Doug Fir 29 March - Seattle WA - Neumo's 30 March - Vancouver BC - Richard's